Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A trip to the orphanage

An interesting adventure we had during our pediatric week was a trip to a government run orphanage. This was a very bizzare, sad and awkward experience. It was bizzare because we were under the impression we were going there to do well child checks or immunizations, but instead, a consultant dropped us off and told us he'd be back for us in an hour. The 3 of us just looked at each other puzzled. What were we supposed to do?

A woman took us into the kid's room- one large room lined with row after row of cribs of crying infants and toddlers. We saw 2-week old infants up to a 15 year old with cerebral palsy. This poor child had not had any physical therapy or treatment for his CP and his extremities were so far deformed, he was no longer able to sit in a wheelchair or lay flat on a bed. When we saw the 3-4 year old's room, all the children were napping. I was surprised to see not one, but 2 children sleeping on each bed. There weren't enough beds for each child. There were no guard rails on these raised beds. Surprisingly, there was a HUGE play area that was donated by some Germans. This play area had thousands of balls and tunnels and areas to climb. It must have been 20 feet tall and put any McDonalds play area to shame. I guess this is where all the money is spent. Most children are under the age of 4 here and many are lucky enough to get adopted by Sri Lankans or foreigners (mostly German as we learned).

It was sad because many of the kids were crying or sick and had no one to care for them or console them. Many of the children here are a product of rape, or born to a young girl unable to afford a baby, abandoned at the hospital for no reason at all. One toddler had only been at the orphanage for 3 days. His mother couldn't afford to keep him and after 14 months, brought him to the orphanage. The child hadn't stopped crying since he arrived. I almost cried with him when I heard his story.

The awkward moment came when the lady asked if we saw any we liked and wanted to take home with us. Uhhhhh... I suddenly felt like I was shopping for a puppy in the mall. It was terrible. Just walking around, looking in each crib, giving hand shakes and playing peek-a-boo type games with the ones that could stand and grip the edge of their crib. It was awful. We didn't know what else to do. We weren't allowed to take them out of their cribs or go play with them or feed them or really assist in any way. I wish we could have helped out. With feeding, with bathing, play time, teaching, I don't know, but something...

We didn't know what else to do. We went into the office and chatted with the woman about the set up of the orphanage and how the government is structured to take the children and feed and educate them. Again she asked us if we liked any. It was sad to leave those kids there, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was somewhat relieved when our ride came back for us. I needed the sales pitch to end. I wanted to help, but I wasn't there to shop and buy and that's how these women made me feel. I truly wish there was more I could do for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment