Monday, January 2, 2012

rock climbing

Rock climbing on Railay Beach has to be one of the most amazing experiences. I headed over to Railay on a longtail boat from Ao Nang and met with King Climbers. Since I've climbed before, some of the guides set up a few more challenging routes and let me and 2 other experienced climbers belay each other so we wouldn't have to stay with the beginners and learn knots.



In the morning, we climbed 1,2,3 Wall (at low tide below left) which was a unique experience in itself. The tide was low so when we set up our routes we were standing on a solid strip of beach. By the time I got my first climb in, the tide was rising and by my second climb, our beach had been swallowed by the sea. My guide strapped himself in to a rock formation across the beach and above the water so he could belay me without getting swept away (below right). At the top of these routes, you could see the whole bay and beyond. These routes were about 30 meters high. 
 



In the afternoon, I headed out with another guide who took me to Diamond Cave. There were a ton of climbers already here (norwegian I think) but my guide is like a little monkey (below) so he quickly set a few ropes while I belayed him. Very trusting man! By the end of the day, I was all climbed out. My hands were trashed from the limestone cliffs and I was covered in scrapes and bruises from trying to launch myself up from the crashing sea waves. My forearms and lats are gonna be wicked sore!!!



The longtail ride home at sunset was a glorious way to end such a fantastic day in Railay. I heart Thailand!!The longtail ride home at sunset was a glorious way to end such a fantastic day in Railay. I heart Thailand!!

 


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment